Cardiovascular Medicine - Metabolic Fitness Program
Medical Director: Melvyn Rubenfire, M.D.
The Metabolic Fitness Program at Cardiovascular Medicine at Domino's Farms is an award winning program designed to provide strategies to reduce the risks of heart disease, stroke, and diabetes associated with the metabolic syndrome. The program combines exercise, nutrition, stress management, and strategies for behavior change in a supportive group atmosphere to facilitate positive lifestyle changes to reduce risks. Recent changes to the program, such as introducing evening hours and extending the duration to 6 months, have been made to make it more accessible to patients and to better support lifestyle change.
Metabolic syndrome is defined as the presence of 3 or more of the following health conditions:
- Central obesity with waist measured at the top of the right iliac crest with tape measure parallel to the floor: Men = Asian-Americans: Men = 35", Women = 31"
- Fasting triglycerides = 150 mg/dl; patients on drug treatment with fibrates or nicotinic should be presumed to have triglycerides = 150mg/dl and low HDL.
- Low HDL cholesterol: Men < 40 mg/dl, Women < 50 mg/dl
- Blood pressure = 130mmHg systolic or diastolic = 85 mmHg, or on any drug treatment for hypertension
- Fasting glucose = 100 mg/dl
- Patients with the following should be suspect: polycystic ovaries, BMI = 30kg/m2, family history of diabetes
The Metabolic Fitness Program:
- 24-week program with a 12-week option
- Held on Mondays, 6:30-8:00 a.m., or Tuesdays, 5:30 to 7:00 p.m.
- New admissions on a monthly basis
- Comprehensive medical assessment by nurse practitioner
- Analysis of blood values that are specific to the metabolic syndrome
- Stress test, if indicated
- Educational lectures, group discussions, and medically monitored exercise in our Fitness Center
- Educational topics include:
- Understanding the Metabolic Syndrome
- Aerobic exercise and strength training to improve metabolic fitness
- Nutrition to improve metabolic health, recipes, and strategies for healthy eating
- Stress management techniques
- Understanding emotional eating
- Strategies to support behavior change
- Access to the Cardiovascular Medicine Fitness Center throughout the duration of the program Cardiovascular Medicine at Domino's Farm - Fitness Center
- Comprehensive follow-up examination at weeks 11 and 23
- Review of results and progress at weeks 12 and 24
- Patients must be referred by their physician in order to participate in the Metabolic Fitness Program
- Patient-pay program, no refunds issued after class starts
- Directions to MFP
Office Number: 734-998-5679
24 Frank Lloyd Wright Drive
Floor 1, Suite 1300, Reception: Lobby A
Ann Arbor, MI 48105-5736
Maps & Directions: