Director: Chung Owyang, M.D.
Welcome to the A. Alfred Taubman Health Center. The Gastroenterology Division provides ambulatory (outpatient) consultative services to patients at the A. Alfred Taubman Health Center for the evaluation and treatment of acute and chronic disorders.
Gastroenterology is the medical specialty concerned with the diagnosis and treatment of diseases of the gastrointestinal system, which includes the esophagus, stomach, small intestine, colon, rectum, liver, gallbladder, pancreas, and biliary tract.
Typical symptoms of gastroenterological diseases include nausea, vomiting, heartburn, difficulty swallowing, abdominal pain, diarrhea, constipation, weight loss, jaundice, and bleeding.
The Gastroenterology Division provides full endoscopic services including esophagogastroduodenoscopy, small bowel enteroscopy, colonoscopy, dilation (esophageal, pyloric/gastric, biliary), endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP), endoscopic ultrasound (EUS), laser therapies, polypectomy (both upper and lower), variceal sclerosis and laparoscopy.In addition, the following tests are provided through the GI Physiology and Manometry Laboratory:
- 24-hour pH monitoring of esophagus
- Anorectal manometry (including biofeedback)
- Basal esophageal manometry and pH testing
- Biliary manometry
- Bowel control program
- Colonic transit testing
- 14C-urea breath test for Helicobacter pylori
- Dual monitoring of upper and lower esophageal pH
- Esophageal provocative testing
- Gastric acid analysis
- Gastroduodenal manometry
- Hydrogen breath testing (glucose, lactose, sucrose, fructose)
- Pancreatic function test
- Secretin stimulation test
- Sham feeding for completeness of vagotomy
- Small bowel perfusion - intestinal
The Gastroenterology Division has created the following subspecialty clinics to better direct our clinical expertise to meet the needs of referring physicians and their patients:
- Esophageal/Peptic Ulcer Disease
- General Gastroenterology
- Digestive Health Center
- Functional Bowel Disorders
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Liver Disease
- Liver Transplant
- Michigan Bowel Control Program
- Pancreatic and Biliary Disorders
- Wilson's Disease Center of Excellence
The faculty involved in these subspecialty clinics are also involved in relevant clinical research programs and protocols.
The Gastroenterology Division conducts and participates in many pharmaceutical clinical investigations managed by the GI Clinical Studies Office.
Appointment Number: 734-647-5944
A. Alfred Taubman Health Care Center
1500 East Medical Center Drive
Floor 3, Reception: D
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-5362
Maps & Directions: