|UMHS Preoperative Consult Clinic
|Suggested Pre-Referral Evaluation and Management Guidelines
Adults having elective operations at the University of Michigan.
Patients who DO need a preoperative Anesthesia clinic visit:
- Please make every effort to schedule all appointments.
- Preoperative anesthesia assessment clinic is not a walk-in clinic.
- Please schedule and cancel all patients through EWS.
- Clinic hours are Monday-Friday 830AM-5PM.
- Patients must arrive by 430PM to insure that they be seen.
- Please contact 936-3604 or 647-9975 with any scheduling questions.
Patients who DO NOT need a preoperative anesthesia clinic visit:
- Patients with mild chronic medical problems (not functionally debilitating, generally American Society of Anesthesiologists class 2) may need a preoperative visit if there is a question as to whether their medical problems are well optimized. (ASA class 2 [Mild disease that causes no regular symptoms or limitations, i.e., well controlled hypertension])
- Patients with significant medical disease (functionally debilitating; generally ASA class 3 patients) require a preoperative anesthesia evaluation. (American Society of Anesthesiologists class 3 = Disease that will regularly cause symptoms or limitations i.e., stable angina pectoris)
- Patients with a history of anesthesia problems or complications
- Patients with significant anxiety or questions regarding their anesthetic
- Healthy patients without chronic medical problems (American Society of Anesthesiologists class 1 [Healthy--no medical issues]) who are having uncomplicated procedures
- Patients with chronic medical conditions which are under optimal medical control (American Society of Anesthesiologists class 2 [Mild disease that causes no regular symptoms or limitations, i.e., well controlled hypertension])
- Patients who have had a preoperative anesthesia evaluation with surgery re-scheduled to a later date may be updated on the day of the procedure unless a significant change in their medical status has occurred in the interim. Similarly, patients who require multiple operations, but have unchanging general medical status, do not need repeat visits to the preoperative anesthesia clinic.
|Suggested Additional Test/Management Prior to Specialty Visit
Males >45 years old, females >55 years old:
ECG if none done within past year.
Patients with heart disease, signs or symptoms:
ECG if none done within past year
Patients with known pulmonary disease, signs or symptoms:
Chest x-ray if none done within past year
Patients with liver disease:
AST, ALT, electrolytes, PT, PTT, HCT, PLTs
Patients with renal disease:
Electrolytes, BUN, SCr, BUN, HCT, PLTs
|Patient Education/Information (includes preps)
It is generally most convenient and medically appropriate for patients to be seen in our clinic on the same day as their surgical history and physical.
- If there is any question regarding timing, propriety or patient convenience, please call the clinic at 647-9975 or 936-3604.
|How to Get Results to Consultant
||UMHS Patients: See MiChart
External Patients: Hand carry non-UM records to visit
|Clinic Contact Information
Patient: 734-647-9975 or 734-936-3604
|Clinic Location Sites
||Pre-Operative Clinic at Domino’s Farms
|UM Consulting Physician
Pre-Operative Clinic faculty