Referral for Chronic Hepatitis C is appropriate for patients with:
- Patients with a detectable HCV RNA.
- Patients with positive anti-HCV but without detectable HCV RNA should not be referred given lack of ongoing infection.
- Documented history of chronic hepatitis C infection and need for further evaluation or long-term management.
- This includes but is not limited to evaluation for treatment with antiviral medication.
General counseling for patients with confirmed infection:
- Decrease or abstain from alcohol
- Advise on precautions to prevent transmission
- Recommend Hepatitis A/B vaccination