|Bipolar Disorder (Adult)
|Suggested Pre-Referral Evaluation and Management Guidelines
- Rule out medical contributors to symptoms:
- Drugs of abuse: alcohol, cocaine, etc. -Consider referral to U-M Addiction Treatment Services: 734-764-9190
- Thyroid and other endocrine diseases
- Head injury
- Sleep apnea
- Medications: antidepressants, decongestants, stimulants, steroids, contraceptives
- Caffeine use
- Core of treatment for bipolar disorder is a mood stabilizing agent (lithium, valproic acid, or carbamazepine)
- Antipsychotic agents can be used as second line or augmenting agents in adults.
- Lamotrigine may be used for the prevention of bipolar depression.
- Antidepressant agents should be used with caution, and in general not without a mood stabilizing agent.
- Combining medications with effective psychotherapy is the best treatment. Evidence based therapies for bipolar disorder include: Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Interpersonal and Social Rhythm Therapy, Family Focused Therapy.
|Suggested Additional Test/Management Prior to Specialty Visit
- Prior to referral, baseline labs to help speed process of starting medications: Comprehensive metabolic panel, TSH, CBCPD, CHD, height, weight, waist circumference, medication levels (if applicable).
- Provide a brief history of mental status at varying time points if able.
- Encourage family members and/or a close friend to attend specialty evaluation appointment.
|Patient Education/Information (includes preps)
||UM Depression Center
UM Depression Center Support Groups
Appointment wait times vary by availability.
Emergent care needs must be addressed through the Psychiatric Emergency Service: 734-936-5900.
|How to Get Results to Consultant
||UMHS Patients: Make sure all needed information is posted or scanned in to MiChart
External Patients: Fax referral request form and supporting patient records. Fax: 734-763-5580
Records should be mailed or faxed well in advance of scheduled consultations. If time frame is too short, patients can hand carry outside records.
|Clinic Contact Information
- Complete electronic referral in MiChart.
- Direct the patient to call Psychiatry Intake & Call Center at 734-764-0231 or 1-800-525-5188 to make an appointment.
|Clinic Location Sites
||Depression Center / Ambulatory Psychiatry at the Rachel Upjohn Building
|UM Consulting Physician
Depressive Disorders Section Faculty