|Suggested Pre-Referral Evaluation and Management Guidelines
Referral is indicated if the patient has:
- history of diverticulitis with perforation
- recurrent lower GI bleeding due to diverticulosis
- diverticulitis insufficiently responsive to oral antibiotic therapy
- persistent, symptomatic diverticulitis
- There is no strict indication for surgery based on any particular number of treated episodes of acute diverticulitis. Patients with acute diverticulitis should be seen in the emergency department.
- If performed outside of the UMHS system, CT report and images on CD should be available at or before the time of the clinic visit. Receiving these before the clinic visit is preferable.
|Suggested Additional Test/Management Prior to Specialty Visit
Colonoscopy should be performed to confirm diverticular disease and rule out other pathology. This need not be performed prior to the clinic visit.
If colonoscopy is performed outside of the UMHS system, the procedure report and results of biopsies taken should be available for review at or before the time of the clinic visit. Receiving these before the clinic visit is preferable.
|Patient Education/Information (includes preps)
4 weeks unless condition warrants more urgent assessment
|How to Get Results to Consultant
||UMHS Patients: See MiChart
Reports and/or medical records can be faxed to 734-232-6189
CDs can be hand-carried to the appointment
Reports, medical records, CDs, and pathology slides can be mailed to:
Division of Colorectal Surgery
Attention: Jain Carver
1500 East Medical Center Drive, SPC 5343
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-5343
|Clinic Contact Information
|Clinic Location Sites
||Colorectal Surgery Clinic
|UM Consulting Physician
Colorectal Surgery Physicians